Summer Work and Travel
Summer Work and Travel: FY 2013
The Summer Work & Travel Exchange Program is designed as a postsecondary program where foreign students have the opportunity to work and travel in the United States for a four month period during their summer vacation. The program authorizes students to work to ensure that they have sufficient funds to pay for food and housing in the United States, while gaining exposure to life in America and improving English language skills. It is expected that students who participate in this program come to the United States to work. Students are expected to have sufficient funds to cover their initial living expenses in the U.S. until they start working.
For Turkey, the dates for the program are May 15 – October 01.
Students are allowed to work up to four months during this period. How long a student may remain in the United States after the end of the validity of the visa will be determined at the port of entry. Usually, students are given a 30 day grace period when they can travel and sightsee around the country but they are not allowed to work during this time. If a student only wants to travel in the United States during the summer months, then the Summer Work & Travel Program is not the appropriate category. In this case, the student would need to apply for a tourist visa (B-2 visa).
For more information about the Summer Work & Travel Program, please visit: http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/summer-work-travel/
Know your rights
All students should read the Wilberforce Act (PDF 248KB) before coming for interview and understand the rights they have while in the United States. If after reading Wilberforce Act you have any questions regarding your rights, please ask them during your visa interview and consular officers will be happy to address them.
Procedural Guidelines for FY2013:
- There is no requirement for students interested in the Summer Work & Travel Program to make arrangements through a local agent. For a listing of U.S.-based sponsors, please see: http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/?program=Summer%20Work%20Travel&state=any
- We will consider all applications equally; whether the applicant is applying independently or through a local Turkish agent (see below).
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their on-line application is completed accurately. (Be certain to indicate that you are applying for an Exchange Visitor Visa.)
- Applicants for SWT must also pay their on-line SEVIS fee at: http://www.fmjfee.com/ at least 72 hours in advance of appointment date. For more information about SEVIS please visit: http://j1visa.state.gov/sponsors/current/sevis/ and http://www.ice.gov/sevis/factsheet/090104_fs.htm
- Local agencies that wish to be listed on the U.S. Consulate General website as agencies assisting applicants on SWT may contact us at email@example.com
List of Agencies:
The list below is not exhaustive of all agencies in Turkey that can recruit students for the SWT program.
The U.S. Consulate assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or reputation of the agencies whose names appear on the following list. Click on the agency name to reach information provided by the agency regarding its SWT policy and fee schedule. If you find any inaccuracies, please contact us.
- Adore Study.pdf
- Armada Grandee Yurtdışı Eğitim.pdf
- ATA Yurtdışı Eğitim Danışmanlığı.pdf
- Big Apple Company.pdf
- Candelas International Education.pdf
- Campus Yurtdışı Eğitim Danışmanlığı.pdf
- CEO Education.pdf
- Educenter Yurtdışı Eğitim Danışmanlığı.pdf
- ELT Yurtdışı Eğitim Hizmetleri.pdf
- Exchange International-Academix.pdf
- Explore Yurt Dışı Eğitim ve Kariyer Hizmetleri.pdf
- Global Group Yurtdişi Eğitim.pdf
- Global Vizyon Yurtdışı Eğitim Danışmanlık.pdf
- Golden Kariyer Yurtdışı Eğitim Danışmanlığı.pdf
- ICCP Turkey.pdf
- ICEPWORLD Yurtdışı Eğitim.pdf
- Idealsas Yurtdisi Egitim Danismanlik.pdf
- IHR Turkey.pdf
- Oxford House International.pdf
- Ozman Yurtdişi Eğitim .pdf
- Partner Educational Yurtdışı Eğitim Danışmanlığı.pdf
- Siner Yurtdışı Eğitim Danışmanlık.pdf
- Success Yurtdisi Egitim.pdf
- TROY International.pdf
- UKLA Abroad.pdf
- United Towers Work and Travel.pdf
- USEH Uluslararasi Staj ve Egitim Hizmetleri.pdf
- Worldwide Career Center.pdf
- Yedi Kita Yurtdışı Eğitim.pdf
- YERO Yurtdisi Egitim.pdf
Find Us on Facebook!
You Have Rights!
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.